Friday, January 25, 2019

Thoughts on the First Semester

Over the course of the semester, I have progressed incredibly as a writer. I have learned new writing techniques and expanded my vocabulary over the course. I have developed my writing from learning how to fix common mistakes and by looking at my peers' writing pieces to see what else I can incorporate in my writing. I have improved in mixing in specific quotes so it doesn't sound choppy. Doing this makes my writing more professional and easier for others to understand. I have learned that longer quotes don't necessarily help the discussion of a writing piece. Another way I have improved my writing is providing a more organized analysis for my quotations. I now know exactly what to discuss with specific quotes and how it connects to the bigger purpose of the piece. One thing that I need to work on is providing a introduction that highlights the purpose of the piece and why it has impact. I will need to learn from my peers on what specific things to include in my introductions and how to connect it to the thesis effectively. Another thing I must improve on is my reasoning section for my writing. To fix this, I will practice utilizing specific strategies to help me empower the purpose of my writing. I am proud of some of my blog posts because of the creative writing styles used. Despite some of the grades, I felt like those posts were some of my best works. The only thing Ms. Nagi could do to help my writing progress even further is to alert me if I could improve in one area or another.
Date 
Topic 
AP Score 
Strength 
Challenge 
9/4 
SR Fiction Essay 
3 
Organization of evidence gathered. 
Don’t summarize story 
No SAQ 
9/4 
SR Nonfiction Essay 
4 
Thesis was well answered 
Analysis needs to connect together 
9/17 
SR Nonfiction Essay rewrite 
5 
Intro and conclusion were strong at addressing topic 
Quotes need to flow together 
No SAQ 
10/1 
Origin Quickwrite 
3 
Discussion of topic and thesis 
Analysis and quoting needs work 
10/22 
Puritan Essay 
4 
Quotes were effective and reasoning was well thought out 
Thesis was lacking important detail and not well organized 
11/1 
Independent Novel Short Response 
3 
Well written introduction and conclusion 
Quotes need to be more organized and impactful 
11/14 
Crucible Short Answer 
4 
Thesis was well worded, and quotes were appropriate 
Analysis did not help argument that much 
12/5 
Liberty Argumentative Quick write 
3 
Conclusion was strong at analyzing points brought up 
Quotes were too long and not impactful 
12/13 
Satire Quick write 
3 
Quotes were used efficiently and appropriately 
Analysis needs to empower purpose 
1/13 
Gatsby Test Short Answer 
4 
Thesis was well written and very organized 
Analysis needs to empower purpose 
1/22 
Social Concerns Final Exam Essay 
4 
My thesis writing and quote embedding is strong 
My analysis of my writing is weak 

1 comment:

  1. I also improved in the area of using specific examples from the text. It makes it much more simple to analyze as the quotes make the argument stronger. Also, I suggest peer reviews. With peer reviewers, things could be pointed out to you that you would have never noticed on your own. I have been able to utilize this, and I recommend it to you. It will further enhance your writing.

    ReplyDelete